How to Apply - Other Housing Considerations

Students with Disabilities

We will work with students with a legally qualifying disability to meet their individual needs and will engage in an interactive process to determine reasonable accommodations. 

If you indicate on your housing application an accommodation need based on a legally qualifying disability, you will need to provide medical documentation in support of your request.  If the documentation is not already on file with the Housing Information Office, you need to complete and submit the Documentation for Accommodation Needs form within 5 business days of completing your housing application.

Submitting the Documentation for Accommodation Needs form is not a guarantee you will receive the accommodations recommended on the form.

The information you provide will have no bearing on your general eligibility for housing.  Students with disabilities are assigned roommates in the same manner as all other residence hall applicants, unless they specifically request a single room and one is available at the time their application is processed.  Accommodation requests take precedence over all other requests, including roommates.

Accommodations for first-year residents with conditions that do not fall under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) serve as a bridge to assist students with their transition from home to college. A placement in your first year does not guarantee on-campus housing, nor a specific placement in on-campus housing, beyond the first year.

Services for Students with Disabilities does not share information with University Housing.

Students in Recovery

University Housing works to provide a safe, inclusive, comfortable and supportive living experience for all students living in Michigan residential facilities. We will work with students to meet their individual needs and will engage in an interactive process to determine reasonable accommodations for students in recovery who wish to limit their exposure to alcohol and other drugs.

If you have questions about University Housing, the on-campus environment or additional support, or would like to discuss on-campus options, please contact the Housing Information Office as soon as possible. Please note: We are only able to guarantee on-campus housing to new first-year freshmen. 

If you have questions about recovery support and how to get connected to the recovery community, please contact the Collegiate Recovery Program.

If you have additional questions about alcohol and other drug abuse programs and services, we encourage you to contact the Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention Program.


  • Recovery from substance dependence is a voluntarily maintained lifestyle characterized by sobriety, personal health, and citizenship.
  • Sobriety refers to abstinence from alcohol and all other non-prescribed drugs.  
  • Evidence indicates that for formerly dependent individuals, sobriety is most reliably achieved through the practice of abstinence of alcohol and all other drugs of abuse.

Definitions are quoted directly from:  The Betty Ford Institute Consensus Panel (2007). What is recovery? A working definition from the Betty Ford Institute, Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 33(3), 221-228. 

Food Allergens

(See also Food Allergy FAQ)

Whenever possible, University Housing works to accommodate residents’ needs in the residential dining halls.  If you have a food allergy or require a special diet, one of our registered dietitians can provide you with the resources and information needed to make healthy food choices. Foods served in the residential dining halls that contain potential allergens are labeled accordingly and ingredient information is available upon request.

You'll find MyNutrition to be a helpful resource in prescreening menu options for allergens; viewing complete ingredient information for any dish; or day-by-day meal planning.

In addition, in every serving area in our dining halls, we post up-to-the-minute allergy and nutrition information for each dish being served. If you have additional questions or need clarification, we encourage you to speak with a dining hall manager or chef. We're always happy to assist you.

Preventive Measures

Any food allergies should be listed on a medical emergency card and carried with you at all times. This information can then be shared with appropriate staff or medical professionals as needed. We recommend that you tell your roommate about your allergies and any emergency medicines. 

If you have an allergic reaction, you can receive non-emergency, on-campus care at the University Health Service Allergy Clinic.

To learn more, please contact one of our Registered Dietitians and visit the MDining website. 

Religious Observance

University Housing is committed to providing a safe, inclusive and supportive experience for all students. We recognize student observance of their faith tradition may require consideration for placement in on-campus housing. We will work with students in an effort to meet their individual needs and will engage in an interactive process to determine reasonable accommodations. Accommodation requests must be submitted prior to the student receiving a fall semester housing assignment.

Submitting a request does not guarantee students will receive their preferred room type or campus neighborhood. A placement in a student's first year does not guarantee on-campus housing, nor a specific placement in on-campus housing, beyond the first year.

The following form and a letter of support from the student's religious leader must be received within 5 days of housing application submission. A request for accommodation supersedes all other housing preferences, including roommate requests.


Meal plan options


When religious observance prohibits the use of an electronic lockset, University Housing will provide students with standard keys so they may access their residence hall, individual room, and bathroom.

Other Accommodation Needs

Specify on the Accommodations for Religious Observance Request form and we will work with you on an individual basis in an effort to meet your request.

University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Phone: (734) 763-3164