How to Apply - Incoming Freshmen
Newly admitted freshmen who follow application procedures and meet deadlines are guaranteed on-campus housing. While we do our best to meet your housing preferences, we cannot guarantee a specific campus location, hall or room type.
There are a number of factors that affect room assignment, including room environment preferences, room/hall gender designations and participation in residential Michigan Learning Communities.
- Submitting an application is not a contractual commitment; you are not legally bound to a room or your contract until you submit the contract online.
- If your completed application is not received within 30 days of the date of issue, you will be assigned on-campus housing after all other applicants have been assigned, vacancies permitting.
- Once an assignment has been made, it cannot be changed even if the contract has not been submitted. If you refuse an assignment, University Housing will not offer you another assignment until the first day of classes, vacancies permitting.
- Factors that are not part of the standard application, including your academic unit, employment location or family alumni status, are not considered when housing assignments are made.
- Freshmen are not guaranteed an assignment to a room with other freshmen. It is possible that a freshman may be assigned to a room with upper level undergraduate students.
- Students who are 17 years old at the time their contract starts will be placed in spaces with other freshmen. Due to differences in students under the age of 17, special considerations or conditions may be necessary to accommodate their residency. University Housing does not, except in rare situations, house students under the age of 16.
- Accommodation requests related to disabilities, chronic health conditions, gender identity, or religious observance must follow the written guidelines outlined in the housing application instructions.
- University Housing, as a part of the University of Michigan, is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
- Freshmen are not required to live in University Housing although 95% opt to do so.
Winter Term 2015 Timeline
Please read the Freshman Online Application Instructions before you begin your application. These instructions provide a clear outline of your options as well as access to your application.
Some students terminate their contracts at the end of the fall term. These rooms are offered to other students. Assignments are made on a first come, first served basis. No spaces in Michigan Learning Communities are made available for the Winter Term.
Once you have paid your enrollment deposit, University Housing will send an email to your University of Michigan email account regarding the application process after November 1. If you have not received an email within four weeks of submitting your enrollment deposit and it is after November 1, please contact the Housing Information Office.
Residence hall contracts are available online. A message will be sent to your University email account when the contract is ready for your review. Contracts must be submitted online within three days from the date of contract notification. Assignment information is not provided over the telephone.
Residence halls and undergraduate apartments open from 12 Noon to 5 PM for winter move-in.
Winter term room and board payment is due.
Fall Term 2015 Timeline
Please read the Freshman Online Application Instructions before you begin your application. These instructions provide a clear outline of your options as well as access to your application (once you have received your email notification).
Early April- August
Application availability: Beginning in early April, application emails are sent weekly, as enrollment deposits are received. If you have not received an email within three weeks of submitting your enrollment deposit and it is after April 7, contact the Housing Information Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-763-3164.
Deadline for submitting applications for the first round of housing assignments. Applications received by 11:59 pm EDT are assigned a random number to determine the order of housing assignments. Submitting an application for this round does not guarantee that you will receive your preferred rate group or campus neighborhood. Applications received after this date are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
June - August
Residence hall contracts are available online for those assigned by mid-June. A message will be sent to your University email account when the contract is ready for your review. Contracts must be submitted online within three days from the date of contract notification. Assignment information is not provided over the telephone.
Mailing address, roommate notification, approximate room dimensions and move-in information (including your unloading permit and driving directions) become available online.
Fall term room and board payment is due.
When you receive your housing contract by email, you'll be offered the chance to select a date and time from available time windows for moving in. Most newly admitted students can expect to move in over the Labor Day weekend, September 5 and September 6. Be sure to check your email over the summer for Move-In information, including maps, traffic information, where to send packages, and other helpful tips.