How to Apply - Incoming Freshmen
Newly admitted freshmen who follow application procedures and meet deadlines are guaranteed on-campus housing. While we do our best to meet your housing preferences, we cannot guarantee a specific campus location, hall or room type.
There are a number of factors that affect room assignment, including room environment preferences, room/hall gender designations and participation in residential Michigan Learning Communities.
- Submitting an application is not a contractual commitment; you are not legally bound to a room or your contract until you submit the contract online.
- If your completed application is not received within 30 days of the date of issue, the application will be cancelled. You may request another application and you will be assigned on-campus housing after all other applicants have been assigned, vacancies permitting.
- Once an assignment has been made, it cannot be changed even if the contract has not been submitted. If you refuse an assignment, University Housing will not offer you another assignment until the first day of classes, vacancies permitting.
- Factors that are not part of the standard application, including your academic unit, employment location or family alumni status, are not considered when housing assignments are made.
- Freshmen are not guaranteed an assignment to a room with other freshmen. It is possible that a freshman may be assigned to a room with upper level undergraduate students.
- Students who are 17 years old at the time their contract starts will be placed in spaces with other freshmen. Due to differences in students under the age of 17, special considerations or conditions may be necessary to accommodate their residency. University Housing does not, except in rare situations, house students under the age of 16.
- Accommodation requests related to disabilities, chronic health conditions, gender identity, or religious observance must follow the written guidelines outlined in the housing application instructions.
- University Housing, as a part of the University of Michigan, is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
- Freshmen are not required to live in University Housing although 95% opt to do so.
Winter Term 2017 Timeline
Please read the Freshman Online Application Instructions before you begin your application. These instructions provide a clear outline of your options as well as access to your application.
Assignments are made on a first come, first served basis. No spaces in Michigan Learning Communities are made available for the Winter Term.
Once you have paid your enrollment deposit, University Housing will send an email to your University of Michigan email account regarding the application process after November 6. If you have not received an email within four weeks of submitting your enrollment deposit and it is after November 6, please contact the Housing Information Office.
Residence hall contracts are available online. A message will be sent to your University email account when the contract is ready for your review. Contracts must be submitted online within three days from the date of contract notification. Assignment information is not provided over the telephone.
Residence halls and undergraduate apartments open from 3 PM to 9:30 PM for winter move-in.
Winter term room and board payment is due January 4, 2017.
- Housing Options
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- How To Apply
- Undergraduates - Rates & Billing
- Graduate Students & Families - Rates & Billing
- Contracts, Policies & Procedures
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events