How to Apply – Single Graduate Students
You are eligible to live in U-M’s Northwood Community Apartments if you are:
- An enrolled graduate student
- A Ph.D. candidate
- Paying tuition at the U-M Ann Arbor campus
- Enrolled for six or more credit hours for two out of three academic terms or actively writing your dissertation (with verification from your faculty chair).
Single graduate students are eligible for one bedroom units (none available at this time) or two bedroom units if shared with another single graduate student.
Currently enrolled students who want to apply for occupancy between now and June 30, 2013, please request a University Housing application now.
Currently enrolled students who want to apply for occupancy between July 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013 should email the NCA Assignment Group beginning March 25.
Newly admitted graduate students who have read these guidelines and received an email from University Housing are ready to apply. If you have not received an email, you can expect to be notified two weeks after all of your admissions requirements have been met.
Housing Offer Notification
If we have an apartment to offer you, you will be notified by email, fax or telephone. Our goal is to notify you a minimum of 30 days prior to your requested occupancy date. If you have not received an offer within 30 days of your requested occupancy date, please contact Northwood Community Apartments Advisor.
Looking for a Contract Reassignment?
- If University Housing is unable to offer you a contract and you still wish to live in a Northwood Community Apartment (Northwood I, II, IV or V) you may consider assuming another resident’s contract by means of a contract reassignment.
- You must be eligible for the space/apartment you want. If you already have a contract with University Housing, you cannot participate in a contract reassignment.
- If you are interested in a contract reassignment, you are responsible for contacting the resident whose contract you wish to assume.
- There is no guarantee that you will be able to successfully obtain a contract through this reassignment process.
University Housing offers an Online Roommate Board for single graduate students who would like to share an unfurnished apartment in Northwood Community Apartments. This optional feature is provided to help you connect with other U-M graduate students who are also looking for roommates. Place your advertisement now.
Single graduate students may choose to rent individually or share an apartment. All Northwood apartments are unfurnished. You may select a roommate of your choice or we can assign a roommate to you.
If you select a roommate, you and your roommate must submit your applications at the same time. On the application, both roommates' choices regarding apartment type must match. Contract start dates do not have to match but must be within a 30-day period. If you do not submit an application with a roommate, one will be assigned to you.