How to Apply – Students with Families

What is a Family?

Families are defined as:

If you are a newly admitted student, when you have completed all admission requirements and confirmed your intent to enroll at Michigan, University Housing will send you an email with instructions on how to complete the online University Housing application.

To complete the University Housing application, you will need your U-M email address and your U-M ID number.

Newly admitted students to the University can expect to receive application information according to these timeframes:

  • Winter term: early November
  • Spring/Summer/Fall terms: late March

Currently enrolled students with families who want to live in University Housing prior to May 1, 2018 should email from your U-M email account to request an application.  

Please include your U-M ID number in your application request. Once your eligibility is verified, the application access will be emailed to you. Assistance with the application is available by contacting the Housing Information Office.

Currently enrolled students who want to apply to live in Unversity Housing after May 1 should follow the same process beginning mid-March.

Who is Eligible?

You may be eligible for family housing if you are:

  • A graduate or undergraduate student with a family
  • A Ph.D. candidate with a family

In addition, you must be paying tuition at the U-M Ann Arbor campus, and be 1) enrolled for six or more credit hours for two out of three academic terms or 2) be actively writing your dissertation with verification from your faculty chair.

Household Members

We recognize that "family" sometimes goes beyond traditional definitions. For this reason, immediate family members of the housing contract holder may also qualify as household members. All qualified household members must be included on the contract and are entitled to the same access to most family programs, services and facilities. Verification of relationship is required.

Immediate family members can be defined as:

  • A spouse/domestic partner
  • A fiancé (must be married within two weeks of the contract start date)
  • Dependent children under 18 years of age
  • Children over 18 years of age who meet the requirements for legally dependent status (Verification of dependent status such as most recent tax records or court order must be provided)
  • Parents of either the contract holder or of the spouse/domestic partner of families with children
  • Grandparents of the contract holder or of the spouse/domestic partner of families with children

The contract holder's siblings, unless they are legal dependents (as defined above), are not considered immediate family members and are not eligible to live with you as household members in the Northwood Community Apartments.

Anyone who is not recognized by University Housing as a household member cannot reside in the apartment. To request a variance to this policy, submit your specific circumstances in writing to the NCA Housing Advisor.

The occupancy limits for the apartment may not be exceeded because of fire safety codes.

Assignment Policies and Apartment Types

Apartment Selection:

  • Current residents have first opportunity to renew contracts.
  • Priority in selecting a family apartment will be based on your assignment priority.
  • Student families with children have priority for two- and three- bedroom units.
  • If parents/grandparents are to live with you, you must have dependent children and contract for a two- or three-bedroom apartment. 

Housing Offer Notification

If we have an apartment to offer you, we will notify you by email. Our goal is to notify you a minimum of 30 days prior to your requested occupancy date. Housing contracts begin on the 1st or 16th of any given month and expire June 30, 2019. All housing offers are based on:

If you have not received an offer within 30 days of your requested occupancy date, please contact the Housing Information Office.

Looking for a Contract Reassignment?

  • If University Housing is unable to offer you a contract and you still wish to live in Northwood I, II, IV or V, you may consider assuming another resident’s contract by means of a contract reassignment.
  • You must be eligible for the space/apartment you want. If you already have a contract with University Housing, you cannot participate in a contract reassignment.
  • If you are interested in a contract reassignment, you are responsible for contacting the resident whose contract you wish to assume.
  • There is no guarantee that you will be able to successfully obtain a contract through this reassignment process.

Browse Ads


University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Phone: (734) 763-3164