Reporting a Malfunctioning or Stalled Elevator
To report a stalled elevator with someone trapped inside, call 911.
To report any other elevator problem:
- Call Plant Operations at 647.2059.
- Provide the name of the residence hall, location of elevator, short description of problem and your name and contact number.
- The response time to a stuck elevator is normally 15 minutes or less. Elevator Shop staff and Department of Public Safety officers will respond.
U-M Elevator Safety Practices
The University of Michigan either cooperates with or manages the following safety practices:
- The State of Michigan requires that elevators be inspected once every 90 days by a licensed elevator journeyperson. These inspections are conducted by qualified University staff.
- The State of Michigan inspects all elevators on a code-required schedule and issues a Certificate of Operation to properly functioning elevators.
- The U-M Elevator Shop checks every residence hall every month (or more) for specific preventive maintenance tasks.
- Elevator accidents must be reported within 48 hours to the State followed by proper investigation and documentation.
To learn more, download our Elevator Safety Guidelines.
- Housing Options
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events