Fall Move-In: Undergraduates
Congratulations, you'll soon be living at Michigan! During the summer, you will receive email notification regarding your room assignment. Follow the email instructions for:
- Your hall and mailing address
- Room number and dimensions
- Your move-in date
- Unloading permit
Moving Into Your U-M Room
Generally, first-year and transfer students will move in Wednesday and Thursday; returning students on Friday. Plan to move in on your assigned move-in date, when staff will be ready to assist you.
Look for Move-In Makers in their bright, distinctive t-shirts. They'll be happy to lend a hand, but please—no tipping!
Community Center Check-in
Residence Halls: When you arrive on campus, go to your Community Center to check in, receive directions to your room and to learn more about moving in.
Northwood I, II or III: Go to the Community Center at 2150 Cram Place to check in. If you are taking a cab or shuttle to the Cram Place Community Center, ask the driver to wait for you while you pick up your room key, then you can be dropped off near your assigned apartment. Otherwise, you may have a long hike from from the Community Center to your apartment.
You may check in between 8:00 am to 10:00 pm, however, Move-In Makers are only available until 5:00 pm. So If you'll need move-in help, try to arrive between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm.
Note: Residents of the Lawyer's Club, Martha Cook Building and Henderson House should follow their building-specific guidelines and move-in schedules.
Smooth Your Move
- Shipping and Storage
- Residence Halls: Trunks or boxes should arrive no sooner than one to two days before you do. Your residence hall will designate an on-site location and specific hours for package pick up.
- Northwood I, II and III: Due to space limitations, the Community Center at Cram Place cannot accept deliveries or store items for residents during Move-In. If you plan to ship items, schedule them to arrive after you move into your apartment so you can personally accept the package/s.
- Unloading permit: This permit is only valid during your official move-in day during active unloading. It entitles you to park in a designated unloading zone near your residence hall or Northwood apartment for up to 30 minutes. Please note that parking regulations are strictly enforced on campus and throughout the city of Ann Arbor.
- Overnight accommodations: If friends or family will accompany you for Move-In and plan to stay overnight, we suggest that you make hotel or motel reservations as soon as possible. Visit the Ann Arbor Convention and Visitors Bureau website to learn more.
- International students: If you need to arrive in the United States before your official move-in day, consider the Early Arrival Program. It begins on Monday, August 5 and closes at noon on Thursday, August 22. Contact the U-M's International Center for more information regarding the orientation program and other arrival activities.
- Apartment Care Guide: If you will be moving into a Northwood Apartment, the booklet Keeping It Clean and Safe provides answers to frequently asked questions about cleaning and maintaining your apartment. Please print this and bring it with you.