Repairs & Maintenance
University Housing manages more than four million square feet of floor space in its residence halls and apartment community. With some 11,000 residents, that’s a full-time job for 250+ mechanics, custodians, tradespersons, engineers, and designers in Housing Facilities.
If a repair cannot wait until the next business day, the request should be made to the Plant Operations Call Center at 734.647.2059.
An emergency is defined as loss of water, heat or electricity, electrical hazards, flooding, fire, elevator entrapment, gas leaks, lockouts or lock problems, Insects/Pests or any condition that poses a significant imminent threat or potential hazard to the student, the residence hall, apartment, or the community.
If It's Broken, We FIXIT.
Call on us for the following issues, room repairs, and cleaning services by using the online FIXIT system. You may also call FIXIT at 647.2059. Please let us know if you see or suspect a pest in your room or hall.
- Mechanical Noise/Failure
- Pest control
- Power/Electrical Service
- Room Temperature
Data-line troubleshooting and repairs; visit the ITS website or call 734.764.4357 (4-HELP), press option 4.
Telephone and UMTV reception problems; contact ITCom Repair Services at 734.647.8888.
Cable problems; please contact the Housing Billing Office at 734.763.3522
How FIXIT Works
FIXIT mechanics are available Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. After hours, non-emergency requests are handled the next business day.
- Because of the volume of calls, we are unable to make FIXIT appointments.
- Your FIXIT request will be assigned a work order number. Use this number to inquire about the status of your request.
- When a maintenance or repair request is made, we assume that we have permission to enter your room or apartment, even if you are not present.
- Before entering your room, the FIXIT mechanics will knock loudly and pause for a response. If there is no response, they will key into the room, open the door slightly and loudly identify themselves. If the student responds and requests that the mechanics leave, they will do so. They may ask when they can return.
- Your FIXIT mechanic will leave you a Service Notice informing you of the status of the work.
- Repairs sometimes require more than one service call due to the ordering of parts or the special skills of a tradesperson.