Security & Safety

Housing Security Officers patrol residence halls and apartments 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Housing Security is a unit of the University of Michigan Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS). Housing Security Officers respond to all requests for assistance in residence halls and apartments and are dispatched by the University of Michigan Police Dispatch Center.

There are "blue light" emergency telephones in various locations around campus, with many near residence halls. Lifting the receiver (or pushing the button, if so equipped) automatically places a call to the University of Michigan Police Dispatch Center. Help is immediately dispatched for emergency calls. Non-emergency calls for assistance are handled in the order they are received.

To learn more, download these helpful resources:

  • Call 911 from any phone for emergencies.
  • Call 31131 from any University telephone for non-emergency situations. If you are off-campus or using a cell phone, call 734.763.1131.

Call DPSS if you:

  • Are the victim of a crime or observe a crime being committed.
  • Observe someone behaving in a suspicious manner or feel that someone's safety is in jeopardy.
  • Are injured and require medical attention.
  • Are in any situation that you consider to be an emergency. Even if it seems inappropriate to contact Housing Security, our officers can direct you to the correct course of action.

University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Phone: (734) 763-3164