Move-Out: Northwood I, II, IV & V
Upon an approved contract termination, follow these guidelines for vacating your apartment. Your approved contract termination date cannot be changed. Please remember, failure to follow checkout procedures and vacate by 3:00 pm on your approved termination date will result in a hold over fee of $125 per day.
Residents are asked to leave their apartment clean and in good condition. As a general rule, your apartment should be left in a condition that you would feel comfortable moving into.
- Turn in apartment keys to your Northwood Community Center (if you live in I or II, go to 2150 Cram Place; if you live in IV or V go to 1000 McIntyre) by 3:00 pm. Be sure to complete the key return form in its entirety, including your forwarding address. For transfers, keys must be turned in by 9:00 am on the approved date. A key drop box is available at each Community Center entrance for your convenience during non-business hours. There will be a charge for a lock change if ALL keys are not returned.
- Clean your apartment according to the cleaning guidelines. If you are vacating a shared apartment, clean your bedroom and all common areas.
- Remove all personal property from your apartment and storage.
- Lock all doors and windows.
Moving Carts and Vacuum Cleaners
There are a small number of moving carts and vacuum cleaners available for loan free of charge at the Community Center.
File a forwarding address with the US Postal Service. Northwood will not forward your mail for you. Also discontinue any deliveries or subscriptions to the apartment. You should fill out a mail forwarding form, available at post offices or at the Northwood front desk. Forms are also available online. If your mail will be forwarded to an address outside of the United States, you should go to a post office to arrange for mail forwarding in person. Nearby post offices are located at 3000 Green Road, 1214 South University, and 200 E. Liberty.
Remove your University Housing address and update your permanent address on Wolverine Access so that final account statements or refunds can reach you.
Property, Parking & Protection
Keep track of your belongings while moving out. Someone should stay with any possessions you leave in an unlocked apartment. All City of Ann Arbor parking regulations are in force during end-of-term move-out periods. Please do not leave a vehicle unattended or you may be ticketed or towed.
Don't drive or park motor vehicles on lawns or sidewalks when packing your belongings. This can result in charges to your University account if damages occur.
Remove your parking permit and return it to your Community Center when you turn in your apartment keys. Once you move out, your eligibility to use Northwood lots is void. Parking in Northwood lots after move-out will subject you to ticketing even with a current permit. FYI: it is illegal to sell your parking permit to another member of the U-M community.
John's Pack & Ship
For a fee, this University-contracted vendor can receive, store and deliver packages right to your building prior to your arrival. Use of this vendor's services is optional. All transactions are strictly between you and the vendor.
Packing, Shipping, & Storage
There is no storage space in Northwood for personal property over the spring/summer.
You may choose your own provider, should you need one. If you use a delivery service other than United Parcel Service, Federal Express, the United States Postal Service or John’s Pack and Ship, you should verify that the company is registered with University Housing.
Bicycles cannot be left in the bike racks over the summer. Abandoned bikes will be collected by the Department of Public Safety and Security and if unclaimed will be disposed of within 30 days. Consider one of the following options:
- Store or ship: University Housing does not have storage available for bicycles so plan to remove your bicycle from University property when you move out. To inquire about bicycle shipping or storage, you may wish to contact John's Pack and Ship or a vendor of your choice.
- Donate: If you don't want to ship or store your bike, consider donating it to the University of Michigan. The bike will be used to support bike programs on campus. Check the Rec Sports web page for "Bike Donation" to find dates and times to bring your bike to the NCRB, CCRB, or Outdoor Adventures (at Elbel Field) during move-out. Make sure you see a staff member so we can record the bike as a donation. The staff will be able to provide you (or your parents) with a donation receipt.
Please remove all personal property when moving. Contact the Northwood Community Center immediately if property is accidentally left behind. Personal property left behind may be disposed of promptly or stored for a limited time at the owner’s expense and risk. All property will be discarded after 30 days.
Please be responsible with items you do not want. Either recycle them or donate them to someone in need. All paper, container and cardboard recycling can be placed into the blue dumpsters labeled "Recyclables".
Complete recycling guidelines and instructions are available online.
After Move Out
A final inspection occurs after residents move out. During the final inspection a member of University Housing’s Facilities staff determines if any damage has been done to the apartment by the resident and also checks to see if the apartment was cleaned according to the specifications in the cleaning guidelines. The inspector will determine what non-standard repairs and services, if any, will be required to prepare the apartment for new residents. Charges may be assessed at this time for unusual wear and tear, property damage, and necessary additional cleaning.
Our charges, although strictly applied, reflect average actual costs and do not include penalties. Specific charges are listed in the cleaning and service charges PDF.
Notification of any cleaning or damages will be itemized and mailed to you within 60 days of your actual vacate date. Any charges assessed will be listed on your Statement of Account from Student Financial Operations.
We will be glad to act as a landlord reference. Processing may take up to 10 business days. Please have your new landlord mail or fax the request, along with your written authorization to:
Housing Information Office
1011 Student Activities Building
515 E. Jefferson Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316
Or by fax: 734-764-6806
Questions regarding Contract termination, extensions, or final rent charges should be directed to Housing.
Questions regarding cleaning, vacating procedures, inspections, damage charges, or moving equipment should be directed to Northwood Community Center.
- Housing Options
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events
- Move-In: Munger Residences
- Move-In: Northwood Single Graduate and Family Housing
- Returning Resident Housing
- Off-Campus Residents & Late Applicants
- Not Sure? Change Your Mind?
- For Parents!
- Spring/Summer Move-In
- Move-Out: Residence Halls
- Move-Out: Northwood IV & V
- ResStaff Selection
- Residence Education Professional Staff Hiring
- Staff Directory
- Scholar-in-Residence Program
- Move-In Information
- Thanksgiving Day Meal and Bus Schedule