Conditions of Use
All users of the University's residential computing network agree to abide by these conditions of use when they register for services.
- I am aware that my University Housing networking services can be suspended or terminated at any time if I violate these conditions. In order to be considered for reactivation, it is my responsibility to demonstrate that I have corrected any violations. Violations may be subject to additional sanctions under the Housing Student Conflict Resolution Process.
- I am aware that violations of state and federal law - including, but not limited to, misuse of intellectual property and malicious or unauthorized access to systems - may result in legal action.
- I understand that I am not guaranteed a network connection or a specific amount of network bandwidth. Network resources may be managed to optimize performance of some applications or resources and slow down other applications or resources.
- I understand that the security of my computer system is my responsibility, and that I am responsible for all activity originating from my computer system, including, but not limited to:
- traffic generated by viruses
- sharing of music or other media files
- other users who have gained access to my computer
Access & Permitted Use
- I will not provide access to any University resource for those not rightfully due such access, nor will I allow others to access resources under my identity.
- I will not redistribute or provide access to University resources for any fee or other consideration.
- I will not engage in behavior that has the effect of identifying weaknesses in or gaining access to services, resources, networks, or computers for which I am not authorized. I will not scan computers to detect access points or vulnerabilities.
- I understand that excessive use of the network is subject to restriction and sanctions. Excessive use is defined as using an amount of network resources beyond what is comparable to a single, interactive network session such as web browsing.
- I understand that servers and other services are only permitted if they utilize a sufficiently small portion of network resources. This includes but is not limited to the sharing of music and other media files.
- I will not perform any action that would impair the function or compromise the integrity of the computer network or result in the denial or degradation of another user's access to the network.
- I will not alter or extend the network by adding any equipment, such as - but not limited to - wireless access points, routers or hardware firewalls. I will not alter network wiring, equipment or network jacks.
- I am aware that as a condition of connecting my system to the network, my system may be subject to network monitoring and vulnerability scanning to ensure the security and reliability of the network and to prevent my system from being vulnerable to attack or being used to launch attacks.
- I will not attempt to alter or avoid charges for computer, network and data access, such as - but not limited to - ResComp activation fees and U-M Standard Computing Services surcharges.
- I understand that violations of University and Internet Service Provider policies regarding technology and network usage will be subject to disciplinary action. These include, but are not limited to: