Meal Accommodations for Religious Observance
Halal Menu Options
Halal options are identified on our menus with a blue "h," indicating that the item was made with halal meat.
- Suspend their meal plan for the duration of Ramadan for Spring semester, Summer semester, or both. A $19.45 credit for each day will be applied to the student’s meal plan account as Dining Dollars. Spring credited Dining Dollars can only be used during Ramadan and will expire after June 26th. Summer credited Dining Dollars can only be used during Ramadan and will expire after July 17th.
- Increase the number of To-Go Meals (available through Hill Dining Center at Mosher Jordan with 24 hours advance notice) included on their meal plan during Ramadan.
Kosher Meal Plan
Michigan Dining partners with the Hillel Foundation to offer students a Kosher meal plan option at the same price as a Basic meal plan. The Kosher meal plan cannot be used at residential dining halls. For students who want to eat an occasional meal at Hillel, Blue Bucks are accepted.
To learn more about Hillel and their dining policies, visit the U-M Hillel website.
Meal plan credits are offered to those students whose religious observance requires a special diet during holidays.
- Each residential dining hall provides a variety of Passover foods such as matzo, gefilte fish, charoset, hardboiled eggs and Passover desserts. (Please note that University Housing does not maintain kosher kitchens. For more details, students should contact a manager or chef at their dining location.)
- Students with meal plans who elect not to dine in the residence halls for Passover may choose to eat their lunches and/or dinners at Hillel during the Passover holiday. Once Passover ends, a $6.50 credit for each lunch and an $8.60 credit for each dinner will be applied to the student’s Blue Bucks account for meals paid for and eaten at Hillel. To sign up for Hillel Passover meals, please register and pre-pay (https://michiganhillel.org/passover-reservations/) no later than March 25th.
- The Hillel Foundation serves kosher-for-Passover lunches and dinners during the entire holiday as well as two Seder meals. To learn more about pricing or reservations, contact Hillel at 734.769.0500.
- Chabad House Student Center (715 Hill Street) also serves meals throughout Passover. To sign up for Chabad Passover meals, please register and pre-pay or call 734.995.3276 for pricing and reservation details.
- If you need additional information, contact the Housing Information Office.
Drink UpYour body has a hard time differentiating hunger from thirst. If you don’t drink enough water, you may feel hungry when really you’re dehydrated. Grab a glass of water with your next meal!
Wondering which dining halls are open and when? Check our website for the most up to date hours for each dining hall.
Looking for ingredient lists or more detail on what’s in the Creole chicken? It’s all available! Check out MyNutrition for our most up-to-date nutrition information for any dining hall, any day of the week!