First Year Experience
Welcome to Michigan! Your first year at U-M is a journey – a time to get involved, explore your campus community, and start making this Michigan experience truly yours. As you join your fellow members of the Class of 2021, you likely are already seeing many opportunities to get involved, understand our environment, and start making your Michigan experience truly yours. The First Year Experience at Michigan is meant to help you navigate all of these programs and opportunities and help you chart your unique course.
As you continue this year, the First Year Experience will give you deep-dive moments to learn new skills while connecting with a variety of your classmates.
Learn more at firstyearexperience.umich.edu
One way you can get involved within your residential community is to register for a course for first year students: ALA 171 "Making the Most of Michigan," a class offered where you live.
Course Name: ALA 171 "Making the Most of Michigan"
What are you hoping to gain from your time at Michigan? To take advantage of your experience, ALA 171: Making the Most of Michigan is a 1 credit, 7-week course designed to help students present themselves to the world at large.
Students in the course:
- Engage with resources across the university campus
- Identify short and long-term goals
- Understand social identities and build important communication skills across differences
- Create online portfolios that detail their aspirations and key experiences
- Grow as leaders in our diverse campus community
Offered in residence halls and facilitated by upper-level students, this course creates a welcoming environment for students. This course is recommended for all first-year students, but especially those who want a head start in the college and professional world. Ultimately, making the most of Michigan is making Michigan yours.
- Tuesdays (7-9pm)
- Wednesdays (7-9pm)
- Thursdays (6-8pm)
- Thursdays (1-3 pm)
Visit the LSA Course Guide to select your section time and location. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hall and Multicultural Councils are focused on hall government and ways to improve residence hall living. These groups also organize and host a variety of social, academic, and multicultural activities.
Community Matters is comprised of two online courses (AlcoholEdu and Haven) and two in-person programs once you are on campus (Change it Up! and Relationship Remix). These required skills-based programs are focused on healthy relationships, sexual assualt prevention, alcohol and other drugs, bystander intervention, and microaggressions.
MLEAD Academy is a weeklong leadership experience for incoming students living in University Housing. Learn more here!
Welcome to Michigan is a campus-wide series of events designed to welcome new students to campus. Check out what is offered!
Even more opportunities for first year students are available through Student Life. Visit the First Year Experience website to learn more!
- Housing Options
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Community Facebook Pages
- Academic & Technology Support
- Residence Hall Community Centers
- Northwood I, II, & III Community Center
- Diversity and Inclusion
- First Year Experience
- Community Living at Michigan (CLAM)
- Laundry Locator
- Michigan Learning Communities
- M Lead Academy and Move-in Program
- Repairs & Maintenance
- Residence Hall Government
- Resident Advisors
- Solicitation & Canvassing
- Undergrad Space Use Policy and Reservation
- Sustainability & Green Living
- Theme Communities
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events