Hallway & Bathroom Cleaning
Maintaining a clean, healthy, comfortable residential environment is a responsibility shared both by students and the Housing custodial staff.
What We Do
Housing custodians clean the offices, corridors, community bathrooms, lounges and other common areas in the residence halls. Our custodial staff use a sustainable and green cleaning agent known as aqueous (or liquid) ozone as our daily general cleaner and sanitizer. The liquid ozone attacks dirt, bacteria, mold and fungus as it reverts to water and air. The dirty water goes down the drain leaving the area clean and sanitized. There are no chemicals, odors or fumes, and no chemical residuals in liquid ozone, although we do occasionally use some cleaning chemicals as needed.
Facilities also provides custodial services to community laundry rooms, community centers and apartment sub dwelling entrances in the Northwood Community Apartment operation.
Our responsibilities include:
- Cleaning and disinfecting community bathrooms daily.
- Cleaning public areas daily.
- Removing trash and recycled materials daily.
- Vacuuming corridors three times each week.
What Students Should Do
Residents should keep their own rooms clean in order to discourage pests, mold, bacterial growth and other health and safety hazards. This also applies to semi-private bathrooms or living areas that are not open to the general resident community. Vacuum cleaners, cleaning supplies, brooms and dustpans are available at the Community Center or in the student custodial closets.
Student responsibilities include:
- Disposing of trash in designated areas.
- Sorting recyclables according to posted instructions in recycling closets.
- Cleaning up after yourself if you become ill.
- Sweeping debris into trash cans, not hallways.
- Cleaning your room regularly. Work out a room-cleaning schedule that satisfies both you and your roommate.
- Properly disposing of all sharps (syringes and blood-testing lancets).
- Housing Options
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Community Facebook Pages
- Academic & Technology Support
- Residence Hall Community Centers
- Northwood I, II, & III Community Center
- Diversity and Inclusion
- First Year Experience
- Community Living at Michigan (CLAM)
- Laundry Locator
- Michigan Learning Communities
- M Lead Academy and Move-in Program
- Repairs & Maintenance
- Residence Hall Government
- Resident Advisors
- Solicitation & Canvassing
- Undergrad Space Use Policy and Reservation
- Sustainability & Green Living
- Theme Communities
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events