Residence Hall Amenities & Utilities

Planning your living space at the University of Michigan is an exciting part of the college experience. Here you’ll find everything you need to know to make your room your own. Review the following info to learn about your options and DO get in touch with your roommates to discuss what you'll each be bringing to your new campus home.

What to Bring to Campus

There are many ways to customize your space with bedding, lamps, accessories, and more.

The Residence Hall Linen Program, sponsored by our Residence Hall Association (RHA), offers extra-long twin linens, matching towels and other room essentials.

Download our list of What to Bring to Campus now. You’ll find it helpful for planning, shopping, and packing.

Standard Room Furnishings

Whether you will be living with one, two, or three other students, University Housing provides these basic furnishings for every student in the room:

  • Bed and mattress (extra-long twin size)
  • Desk and chair
  • Closet and/or dresser
  • Desktop organizer
  • Bookcase
Learn more about furniture.

Room Essentials

Each room contains these essentials:

  • Computer data port (Ethernet)
  • Wastebasket
  • Recyling tote
  • Set of draperies
  • Smoke detector
  • Overhead lighting
Need to Chill and Zap?

Rental refrigerators and MicroFridges -- combination refrigerator, freezer and microwave -- are available from, a private vendor partner with University Housing.

Visit their website to view the available options and to reserve your choice. Online payment is made by debit or credit card. When your reservation is complete, you will receive an email confirmation.

Orders placed before Tuesday, August 09, 2018, will be delivered free to your room before fall move-in.

Use of this vendor's services is optional. All transactions, including delivery, are strictly between you and the vendor.


Residents may rent a refrigerator or bring their own. Due to space and electrical consumption considerations, only one refrigerator is permitted for each room. If you bring your own refrigerator, the maximum capacity is 5.5 cubic feet with an amperage draw of no more than 1.5.


The vast majority of our residents use cellular phone services for their local and long-distance calling needs.  

Effective July 10, 2017, in-room phone service will be discontinued.  Students are welcome to use in-hall courtesy phones for on-campus phone calls.

Cable TV Service

Television service is not provided in rooms, effective July 10, 2017. Select residence hall lounges have televisions with a full cable lineup.

Computing/Ethernet Service

All U-M residential students have access to the ITS standard computing services at no charge. The package includes email, space for file storage and web publishing, printing and more. ITS also provides ethernet and wireless service in the residence halls through a mandatory technology feePlease note that bringing and connecting a personal wireless router to the network is not allowed.

Not Enough Outlets?

If you have more electrical items in your room than outlets, use a 15-amp power strip with an integrated circuit breaker. These power strips are much safer than the lower-cost rubber adapters and also reduce the likelihood that your room will trip a circuit breaker for the entire corridor.

Electrical Devices

Unsafe or excessive electrical devises can pose a fire hazard. Please review the guidelines for electrical devices in the student guide, Community Living at Michigan.

  • Underwriters Laboratory Certified MarkElectrical equipment: Must be certified by Underwriters Laboratory and bear the UL mark.
  • Students may have one refrigerator per room that is up to 5.5-cubic foot capacity and/or uses up to 1.5 amps of electricity. 
  • Microwaves should be 800 watts or less.
  • Extension cords: Only 16-gauge or lower are permitted.
  • Power Strips: Only those with 15-amp integrated circuit breakers are permitted.

University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Phone: (734) 763-3164