Move-Out: Residence Halls
- Move-out should be completed within 24 hours of your last final exam.
- During official move-out periods, blue moving tubs will be available for use at the Community Center.
- Learn about Extended Stays.
If you will not be returning to University Housing, we wish you well. We hope you have enjoyed your time with us and that you will take many wonderful memories with you as you depart.
Please use the following guidelines as you prepare to move out. If you are moving out of Northwood I, II or III, take a look at the Northwood I, II, & III Move-Out information. In addition, review your hall's closing notice, sent to you from your hall staff, for more specific information.
Residence halls officially close 11:00 am Friday, April 28th 2017. Residents must vacate their buildings by this time.
If you live in MoJo, Stockwell, East Quad or Bursley, please leave your beds bunked. For residents in all other halls please un-bunk your beds, and place all furniture directly on the floor. Clean your room and remove all trash to avoid any cleaning fees. And of course, remove all your personal belongings!
Check with your Community Center to see that you are completing all of the processes required to officially check out of your room and residence hall. You will need to check out and return your keys at the Community Center. Please be sure to view the hours of operation for your Community Center.
If you need to move-out after the Community Center is closed, you will find "Express Check-Out Packets" available. The packet will have information on how to properly check out when the Community Center is closed in order to avoid any fees.
Room Condition & Damages Charges
Your Room Condition Inventory (RCI) documents any damage to the room that existed prior to your moving in and any damage that may have occurred since you lived in the room. Rooms are inspected for health and safety conditions at the end of each term or whenever the room is vacated. Residents have the right to be present for this inspection and to schedule it before moving out.
A ResStaff member will accompany you to the room to assess the condition of your room. NOTE: ResStaff members only document the condition of the room. Facilities staff will assess the billing for any repairs or items needing replacement.
Student(s) who are responsible for damages to a room, furniture or any part of a residence hall will be billed directly for repairs, missing keys, excessive cleaning, or missing furniture or equipment in May.
End-of-term damage assessment notices are emailed to your umich.edu address. If you disagree with the charges, you must respond back in writing within ten days. Damage assessments are billed to your student account.
Keycard and Mailbox Keys
When you are ready to leave the hall for the last time, please turn in your keycard, and if applicable, your mailbox key at the Community Center.
The U.S. Postal Service will continue to deliver mail to your residence hall after you move out. We encourage you to change your mailing address with credit card and phone companies, news and magazine subscriptions, and other personal and business contacts. It is also important to submit your summer address change directly to the Office of the Registrar via Wolverine Access under “student business” and on the M-Community Directory.
Housing can forward first class mail for 30 days from the date of move out by the resident completing a Mail Forwarding Request. Magazines and newspapers will not be forwarded. Please note that the U.S. Postal Service does not honor forwarding address requests from residence hall students.
Refrigerators should be cleaned and defrosted. Bedloft will retrieve your refrigerators after Move Out. For more information, please visit bedloft.com vendor.
Bicycles cannot be left in the bike racks over the summer. Abandoned bikes will be collected by the Department of Public Safety and Security and if unclaimed will be disposed of within 30 days. Consider one of the following options:
Ship or Store:
- University Housing does not have storage available for bicycles so plan to remove your bicycle from University property when you move out. To inquire about bicycle shipping or storage, you may wish to contact John's Pack and Ship or a vendor of your choice.
- Donate: If you don't want to ship or store your bike, consider donating it to the University of Michigan. The bike will be used to support bike programs on campus. Check the Rec Sports web page for "Bike Donation" to find dates and times to bring your bike to the NCRB, CCRB, or Outdoor Adventures (at Elbel Field) during move-out. Make sure you see a staff member so we can record the bike as a donation. The staff will be able to provide you (or your parents) with a donation receipt.
All City of Ann Arbor parking regulations are in force during end-of-term move-out periods. Please do not leave a vehicle unattended or you may be ticketed or towed.
It is important to keep track of all belongings while moving out. Someone should stay with any possessions you leave in an open room or hallway. Please do NOT prop exterior doors open, as it causes a serious security concern for the remaining residents. Here are some more tips.
Please be responsible with items you do not want. Either recycle them or donate them to someone in need. Complete recycling guidelines and instructions are available online.
Packing, Shipping and Storage
There is no storage space in the residence halls or apartments for personal property over the spring/summer.
Questions regarding packing, shipping, or storage should be directed to the Community Center Manager for your hall.
- Housing Options
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events
- Move-In: Munger Residences
- Move-In: Northwood Single Graduate and Family Housing
- Returning Resident Housing
- Off-Campus Residents & Late Applicants
- Not Sure? Change Your Mind?
- For Parents!
- Spring/Summer Move-In
- Move-Out: Residence Halls
- Move-Out: Northwood IV & V
- ResStaff Selection
- Residence Education Professional Staff Hiring
- Staff Directory
- Scholar-in-Residence Program
- Move-In Information
- Thanksgiving Day Meal and Bus Schedule