Residents and guests in any part of a University Housing facility are expected to comply with federal and local regulations regarding the use of alcohol and other drugs. In addition, all parts of all residence halls are designated non-smoking by UHousing. The law and our non-smoking policy are enforced throughout the residence halls.
All University Housing rooms and apartments are smoke-free. As of July 2011, the entire University of Michigan campus (including all Housing residence halls and apartments) is smoke-free both indoors and out. Learn more about this campus-wide initiative.
Approximately 28% of our living spaces are designated as substance-free. New students can request assignment to substance-free rooms on their housing application.
The substance-free room option offers an additional measure of support for students who choose not to drink, smoke or use illegal drugs.
- No tobacco products of any kind are kept in the room, regardless of whether they are actually used.
- Alcoholic beverages and behavior stemming from their use is not permitted in the room, regardless of the student’s age.
- Illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia and items promoting a drug culture (posters, clothing, etc.) are not kept or displayed in the room.
Community members who voluntarily choose substance-free housing are committed to that choice and believe it is significant to their success at the University of Michigan. University Housing also takes this commitment seriously.
For policies related to substance–free rooms and conflict resolution arising from non-compliance, see the guide at the Community Living at Michigan site.
- Housing Options
- Undergraduate Housing
- Single Graduate Student Housing
- Family Housing
- Gender-Inclusive Housing
- Off-Campus Housing
- Students With Disabilities or Additional Needs
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events