Returning Resident Housing
Registering for on-campus housing is January 9 - 18, 2017. Register!
Want To Live on-campus again next year?
Students who currently live in University Housing are eligible to participate in the Returning Resident Housing process for the following academic year.
Rooms are reserved for returning students in Stockwell, North Quad and Northwood III, and in Michigan Learning Community spaces. Limited availability in the Betsy Barbour Residence, Helen Newberry Residence and Bursley Hall.
You'll also have the chance to sign up for 5-8-person suites.
Spots are limited and we can not guarantee a space will be available.
For key dates, take a look at our calendar.
What’s My “Priority”?
Eligible students who register will receive a selection time slot based on the number of complete semesters (terms) they have lived in University Housing:
Returning Residents 2017-2018
|Highest Priority (selects first)||2 or fewer terms|
|Second Priority ||3-4 terms|
|Third Priority ||5-6 terms|
|Lowest Priority (selects last)||7 or more terms|
Students are randomly placed within each priority bracket. Students with later selection times will have significantly fewer choices. Even if you are in the highest priority bracket, you may not get your preferred building or neighborhood.
Room and Roommate Selection
- The student with the lowest priority determines the overall priority for roommate assignments.
- Roommate requests must be mutual to be given the same time slot
- The Roommate Finder will be available starting January 9, 2017
- New incoming students and those currently living off campus cannot be selected as roommates
Live in a Residence Hall 5-, 6-, 7- or 8-Person Suite
If you are interested in living in a suite that houses 5, 6, 7, or 8 people, you will need to indicate your interest on your Returning Resident Housing registration, and your group will need to complete and submit a suite request form (pdf) by January 18, 2017.
|Suite Type||Location and number of suites|
|5-Person Suite||North Quad (8 suites)|
|6-Person Suite||Alice Lloyd (2 suites)|
|8-Person Suite||Alice Lloyd (1 suite)|
|5-Person Suite||West Quad (1 female suite)|
|6-Person Suite||West Quad (1 suite)|
|7-Person Suite||West Quad (1 bi-level suite)|
Accommodations for first-year residents with conditions that do not fall under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) serve as a bridge to assist students with their transition from home to college.
We will work with returning residents with a legally qualifying disability to meet their individual needs and will engage in an interactive process to determine reasonable accommodations.
All residents, including those requesting placement based on medical need, must register for the Returning Resident Housing Process January 9 - January 18, 2017.
Registration and Application Process
Step 1: Registration
- All Students – register for the returning resident process between January 9 – 18, 2017
- All current residents and all Winter 2017 study abroad, co-op, internship participants must register
- Students falling outside the stated groups will follow the late/off-campus process
Step 2: Your Process
- You will receive instructions from your MLC about selecting a space
- If you are interested in joining an MLC, contact the program directly.
- You will receive an email with your selection time on January 24, 2017
- Select your specific room on January 26, 2017 by 11:59pm
- If you do not select a room during the RC/Honors process, you will not be able to select from those spaces later in the process.
- If you are interested in living in a suite that houses 5, 6, 7, or 8 people, you will need to indicate your interest on your Returning Resident Housing registration, and your group will need to complete and submit a suite request form by January 18, 2017.
- Each type of suite requires a separate request form.
- Forms must have five people for a 5 person suite, six people for a 6 person suite, seven people for a 7 person suite, and eight people for an 8 person suite.
- All students’ signatures must be included.
- Submit all completed suite request forms by January 18th at noon to the Housing Information Office.
- The suite request form will explain when groups will be notified if their request is approved.
- Submission of a request form does not guarantee placement in a suite.
- Contracts will be due within 24 hours of the offer.
Suite Type Location and number of suites 5-Person Suite North Quad (8 suites) 6-Person Suite Alice Lloyd (2 suites) 8-Person Suite Alice Lloyd (1 suite) 5-Person Suite West Quad (1 female suite) 6-Person Suite West Quad (1 suite) 7-Person Suite West Quad (1 bi-level suite)
Martha Cook is an all-female residence hall located on Central Campus near South University and State Street.
Current Martha Cook residents should contact the Martha Cook staff before January 21.
Current residents in other halls/apartments who wish to live in Martha Cook may choose from available spaces during the February 7-9 open self-selection. You must be registered with Housing and receive a time slot on February 2nd to participate.
Henderson House is a small, economical co-op for sophomore through graduate women. Residents share household responsibilities including cooking and cleaning. Henderson House is located within walking distance from Central Campus in a residential area.
- Gender Inclusive Living Experience – email firstname.lastname@example.org by January 18, 2017 indicating your interest.
- Medical and Chronic Health Conditions – you will receive an email from the Health Disabilty Coordinator by January 23, 2017 if you meet the ADA threshold. If you have a newly diagnosed condition, email email@example.com by January 18, 2017 for further instructions.
All Other Students
- You will receive an email by February 2, 2017 with your selection date and time.
- You will log in to select your specific space from what is available.
- New spaces will not be added later in the process, log in as close to your selection time to search for a space will give you the most available options.
Step 3: Sign Your Contract – Contracts are due within 24 hours
- All students must sign their individual contracts online.
- Contracts are due within 24 hours of assignment or space selection.
Important Information for 2017-2018
Construction on the new Trotter Multicultural Center will commence in August 2017 on the site immediately to the east of Betsy Barbour and Helen Newberry residence halls, along State Street. Both halls will be fully open with all the regular services though residents can expect some periods of construction noise and dust.
Housing rates have historically increased by approximately 3%. Final rates are determined by the Board of Regents in June.
- Housing Options
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events
- Move-In: Munger Residences
- Move-In: Northwood Single Graduate and Family Housing
- Returning Resident Housing
- Off-Campus Residents & Late Applicants
- Not Sure? Change Your Mind?
- For Parents!
- Spring/Summer Move-In
- Move-Out: Residence Halls
- Move-Out: Northwood IV & V
- ResStaff Selection
- Residence Education Professional Staff Hiring
- Staff Directory
- Scholar-in-Residence Program
- Move-In Information
- Thanksgiving Day Meal and Bus Schedule