Information Technology Jobs
Computer Consultant III
Job #: 400042
Location: Mary Markley
Department: Housing Information Technology Office
Resume Required? Yes
Work-Study? Either Work-Study or Non-Work-Study Available
Housing Information Technology Office (HITO) is looking for students to join our Infrastructure and Operations team providing computing and technology support for Housing administrative staff and our partners. A successful candidate will be motivated, self-disciplined, energetic, and capable of operating independently. Candidates for this position will have some experience installing technology components, computers, and software for their own use, the use of others, or in a professional capacity. Deep technical expertise is not required, as long as a candidate demonstrates critical thinking, logical problem solving ability, and a willingness to learn.
The Infrastructure & Operations Support Technician position provides computing and technology support for Housing Administrative Staff in person, remotely, over the phone, and through email and the web. Our technicians receive escalations from the ITS Helpdesk for technical problems which are related to Housing specific technologies, software, and systems. Technicians are responsible for supporting the card readers, vending machines, laundry machines, point-of-sale devices, audio/video equipment, administrative computers, and enterprise software in all of the residence halls and Housing administrative offices. Technicians will work with low voltage devices and components located up to 25 feet off the ground. They will also provide specific technology and software support including the lifting/moving, installation, and setup of heavy objects including, but not limited to, technology components and computer peripherals. At times, the technician may operate for periods of time independent of supervision and without immediate assistance from other team members. Other tasks may be assigned by the HITO Operations & Infrastructure Manager, other team members, or HITO management.
1) Must be a currently enrolled student at the University of Michigan;
2) Must have a valid driver’s license, and be approved to drive University vehicles;
3) Must be able to work a minimum appointment time of 24 hours weekly for Spring/Summer and 12 hours weekly for Fall/Winter Semesters;
4) Previous experience installing, troubleshooting, or supporting desktop computers and software;
5) Demonstrated history of pro-actively working on tasks and projects, efficiently and accurately independent of supervision or immediate assistance;
6) Demonstrated strong, dedicated work ethic determined by past work examples;
7) Employment history with consistent and timely attendance;
8) Ability to work in a diverse social environment;
9) Ability to lift heavy objects including, but not limited to technology components and computer peripherals;
10) Ability to be a part of a team and working with ambiguous but tangible goals;
11) Ability to interact with customers and fellow staff members in a professional and friendly manner.
Applicants bringing more technical ability or experience will be considered for a higher level of appointment and compensation.
1) Experience with a ticketing system or other problem tracking applications;
2) Previous experience installing, troubleshooting or supporting audiovisual equipment;
3) Familiarity with the University of Michigan computing environment, including as desktop computers, networked printers, and collaborative cloud-based applications;
4) Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing;
5) Ability to take the initiative and deal with developing situations as they occur.
Hours per Week: 10 -15