The Food Factor
Food purchases and food waste have an impact on sustainability, so think carefully about your food choices.
- Eat lower on the food chain (less meat and more vegetables).
- Take only what you can eat!
- Take leftovers home to eat for another meal or snack.
- Buy local, organic foods and avoid those that are genetically modified. (For example, look for organic or fair trade coffees. The production of these coffees protects local economies and the environment.)
- Support local farmers' markets and food co-ops. This reduces transportation costs and helps the local economy.
- Residential Dining Services offers many vegetarian options, is continually increasing organic and locally grown options, and is collecting pre-consumer food waste for composting. Learn more about green dining programs at U-M.