Undergrad and Northwood Residential Space Use Protocol, Process, and Requests

University Housing deems the entire residence hall, including lounge spaces, as home to those who live there.

(If you are seeking space in the Munger Graduate Residence Hall, please see this page).

Individual residents, resident groups and departments with a living/learning affiliation may host functions in various spaces in the residence halls.  It is expected that the hosted function is for the students who live in that community, is exclusive to housing residents of other University housing communities or is for those students participating in a particular living/learning program.

Non-housing affiliated students, groups or departments are asked to seek non-residential space on campus.  For Student Organizations, this link from the CCI webpage may be helpful.

Residents or Living/Learning programs should have a conversation with the Leadership Team (LT) of the building to discuss, among other things, usage, timing of the event, means of promotion, the use of amplified sound, quiet hour considerations, size of event and appropriate building access.  

Residents who are inviting a known guest to their function and into their home must escort the guest while in the building.  Mass, public invitations are not permitted.

Regularly occurring meetings are not approved so that all students of a community have the opportunity to use space in their home as needed.

Reservations for students or groups affiliated with Housing:

Requests sent via this form that are requesting space in residential dining halls, the Community Learning Center, Multiculture and Minority Culture spaces will be forwarded to the appropriate unit for their review and response.

By completion and submission of the online request form, it is assumed that all rules of use stated here are understood and will be followed.

Space Use by Individuals or Organizations Not Affiliated with Housing

Residential space use for individuals, departments and organizations not affiliated with University Housing is considered on a VERY limited exception basis rather than an application basis.   Inquires can be made to hsg-solicitation@umich.edu or 734.615.2147.


University Housing reserves the right to bar groups that practice or promote harassment on the basis of race, sex, color, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, religion, age, marital status, gender identity, gender expression, disability or veteran status.


All requests are considered on a first-come, first-served basis.

Minority Culture and Multicultural Lounges

Minority Culture or Multicultural Lounges are meant to serve the residents that live within our housing communities, therefore, the spaces are not available for outside groups to reserve or use the space.  Please direct any questions on the minority culture or multicultural lounges to diversityandinclusion@umich.edu.

Minority Cultural Lounges are a designated space in a residence hall that is a cultural representation of students living in the community and on campus. The minority-cultural lounges are locked physically but are accessible to a resident after a pre-scheduled orientation meeting with the Diversity Peer Educator (DPE) of the community. You can find the contact information for your DPE at the community center.

These spaces are the Abeng lounge in East Quad, Asubuhi lounge in West Quad, Afro American/Ambatana lounge in South Quad, Gandhi lounge in Oxford, Audre Lorde lounge in Barbour/Newberry, Rosa Parks lounge in Stockwell, Nikki Giovanni lounge in Mosher Jordan, UMOJA lounge in Alice Lloyd, Angela Davis lounge in Mary Markley, Martin Luther King lounge in Bursley, the Grace Lee Boggs lounge in Baits, and the Edward Said Lounge in North Quad. Northwood does not have a minority lounge.

Multicultural Lounges are designed to share a piece of a culture and to provide a space for all residents to gather and study, and where all students will have the opportunity to observe and participate in appreciating different cultures. These spaces are the Vicky Barner lounge in Alice Lloyd, the Cesar Chavez lounge in Mosher Jordan, the Sharangpani Lounge in Mary Markley, the Madrigal lounge in East Quad, and the Yuri Kochiyama in South Quad.

While the multicultural lounges are typically open and available for use only by individual residents and departments with a living/learning affiliation, there are student legacy groups that may also request use of the space.

We invite everyone to learn more about the purpose and histories of the Minority Culture and Multicultural Lounges.



University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Email: housing@umich.edu
Phone: (734) 763-3164